Knife production at WÜSTHOF (English)
The state-of-the-art production facilities of Wusthof in Solingen:
From the Design and Engineering Department, Forging, Tempering, Grinding and polishing, Etching, Sharpening and Quality control to Packing and Warehouse.
Quality - made in Germany/Solingen.
Messer Produktion bei WÜSTHOF (Deutsch)
The evolution of a precision forged knife
It takes over 40 steps to make a perfectly forged WÜSTHOF knife out of a high-quality but plain piece of steel. These tasks are performed by our 300 or so employees, who have high levels of experience and commitment, guaranteeing a consistently high level of quality for your products.
This is a list of the major steps in the production process for our forged knives:
1. Steel plates are cut to length.
2. Precision forging.
3. The forged piece is cut out (outline cut by laser).
4. The spine is ground.
5. Hardening at 1050 degrees Celsius and tempering at 200 degrees Celsius.
6. The blade is sharpened on both sides.
7. The blade in polished on both sides (the surface of the blade is finished and protected against corrosion).
8. The blade is marked (etched).
9. The knife is cleaned.
10. Assembly of handle.
11. The knife is assembled (fitting of handle scales to the steel part).
12. The knife handle is sanded down and polished.
13. The blade spine and hand guard are deburred.
14. The knife is "pre-sharpened" with a defined cutting angle, then the cutting edge is finely sharpened, see PEtec .
15. Final checks including cutting test using foam.